[Insight-developers] Need to add images for new tests to Data -- how to do that in a Gerrit topic?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 5 14:50:39 EDT 2010

Gaetan,

2010/11/5 Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>

> This method looks interesting for the large images.
> IMO, it doesn't look that interesting for the small test images we are used
> to have in Testing/Data, compared to a direct inclusion in the ITK
> repository.
>
> The procedure to add a new image on midas looks quite complex also -
> nothing close to the "cvs add" we had before ITK 4 and git.

The method we use to have with cvs was certainly
simple, but also quite disorganized.  A quick look
at the Testing/Data/Input directory will show that
we had no systematic organization for the images
that get included in that directory.

Starting by the fact that tree images,
take half of the size of the entire directory.    :-(

* GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilterTest.mha (1.5Mb)
* TensorsCorpusCallosum.raw (3.7Mb)
*  DwiCorpusCallosum.raw  (4.8Mb)

and each one of those giant images are used in a
single tests (out of the 1,700+ tests that we have).

> Do we really need a new layer of complexity like this one? I don't think
> so.

It depends on whether the added complexity
is helping to overcome the limitations of the
simpler older method.

> Things should be kept simple when possible.

Simplicity is great,
when it doesn't implies a crippled system.

This is our only chance to create the ITK for the next
ten years. If we are going to claim to provide support
for large images, we should test with large images.

Currently we barely have 3D tests,
and we are talking about providing serious
support for 4D images.

This level of testing infrastructure requires
a more scalable method.