[Insight-developers] Adding std::tr1 to ITK?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Nov 10 12:56:15 EST 2010

On 11/10/2010 12:16 PM, Tom Vercauteren wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 17:36, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> This should be the job of the modularization / packaging infrastructure
>> used to build ITK modules.  Ideally boost will be made available before
>> CMake even starts running on ITK.
>
> Would indeed be nice. Any plans on how to make this available?

It is a long-term goal.  After ITK is split into modules there will need
to be some system to actually build them.  Essentially it is a package
manager.  When Ryppl (ryppl.org) is ready it will be a good solution.
Whatever system is used to build the modules should be able to bring
in third-party packages as well as ITK packages.

> The only documentation about the modularization I saw are on the wiki:
>   http://itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Modularization
> and none discuss third party dependencies.

I updated this:

  http://itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Modularization/Goals

to briefly mention them.

>> There is no distinction between "system" and "local install".  Both are
>> outside of our build.
>
> What I meant by system is actually the compiler which may come with
> its own native TR1 implementation (i.e. not from boost). What I meant
> by local is any boost implementation be it in from a package manager
> or a manual install.

You're right.  It is special in the case of a compiler-provided library.

> if not compiler has native TR1 implementation
>   if ITK_USE_SYSTEM_BOOST_TR1
>     add SYSTEM_BOOST_TR1 include paths to ITK

As long as the native and system options are available then ITK will
be useable in applications that also use Boost.  Good.

>   else
>     download boost TR1 headers into Utilities/BoostTR1
>     add Utilities/BoostTR1 include paths to ITK
>   end
> end

Okay, but at that point we might as well just provide Utilities/BoostTR1
with the source in the monolithic form.  In the modularized form it would
be something like a "itk-boost-tr1" module.

> I guess that for the specific case of boost TR1, things are made a bit
> easier since it appears to be a headers only library
>   http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/

Yes.

-Brad