[Insight-developers] ITKv4 : LICENSE Changed to Apache 2.0

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Oct 7 13:41:03 EDT 2010

Hi Stephen,

You were right at the tcon, in that the license change
was not applied yet to the top of the ITK source tree.

I thought we have actually done so back in July...
My mistake.

To All:

We have now proceeded to change the license from
BSD to Apache 2.0, as agreed by the Board of the
Insight Software Consortium, back in Januay 2010.

The change applies to ITKv4 and does not affect
previous releases of the toolkit.

Full Details are in the following Wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Licensing

That  is linked from:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4.0#LICENSE_Change

In Summary:

1) A file "LICENSE" has been added at the top of the
     ITK Source tree, containing the full text of the
     Apache 2.0 license:

http://itk.org/gitweb?p=ITK.git;a=commit;h=a0ff25c3fec0911f948f9bbb7a3ec684f2926e46

2) A file "NOTICE" is now at the top of the ITK source tree,
    containing a manifesto of the copyright and licenses of
    third party files that are distributed along with the toolkit,
    and/or section of code that have been integrated with
    the ITK toolkit.   (in the same commit).

3) The File:    ITK/Copyright/ITKCopyright.txt
      is now pointing to the files: LICENSE and NOTICE

Pending:
=======

A) We must now change the text of the license and copyright notice in

                http://www.itk.org/ITK/project/license.html

      that is the alias for

         http://www.itk.org/HTML/Copyright.htm

B) We must apply the change to the headers of all ITK files.

     The proposed new header is shown here:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Licensing#File_Header_Changes

     Comments are welcome.

C)  The subdirectory "ITK/Copyright" (and its content) must be
      removed, since now all its information is contained in the
      LICENSE and NOTICE files.

There are probably modifications that must be applied in other
places in the toolkit, and its related documentation, so if you find
any, please point them out to us so we can fix them promptly.