[Insight-developers] ITKv4 : LICENSE Changed to Apache 2.0

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Oct 7 14:40:34 EDT 2010

Hi Luis,

Excuse my ignorance about licenses but I have a few questions
regarding this change.

1) Does the redistribution clause 4.2 requires that if someone
distributes some binary software that uses a patched ITK, this someone
has to mention the names of all patched files? This is what I
understand from
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#redistribution
but the FAQ seems to say otherwise
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN
I hope the FAQ has it right because it seems a bit cumbersome to list
all modified files in a place accessible to the end user. Not that I
keep ITK patches privately but I often have some ITK patches in my
software before they make it to ITK proper.

2) Regarding the code that lies in Code/Patented. Did any of the
inventors actually contributed to it? If so, I guess that we need to
get rid of it before making the license change effective.
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#patent
Am I understanding it correctly?

3) In two words (if that is possible) what is the rationale for making
this change?

As far as the header is concerned, I also like to have a simple header.

Tom