[Insight-developers] ITKv4 : LICENSE Changed to Apache 2.0

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 8 15:19:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Bradley Lowekamp <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov>wrote:

> GitHub came to mind as I was reading this. GitHub has the new idea of
> social coding, so that many people have their own repository and are
> redistributing their branches or modified software. This seems to make this
> point a lot fuzzier to me. I suppose the revision history is enough to
> indicate the divergence from the official repository.
>
> Brad

Brad,

That's a good point.

I would consider that the revision history information displayed
by Github itself (in the network diagram, for example), is clear
and visible enough notice that the software has been modified.

Actually, the fact that git builds the hashes out of the file content
(of all files) is a much better indication of whether the code has
been modified or not.  I.e. when we make ITK releases we could
simply publish the SHA (in the web site, for example) and anyone
could readily verify it against the copy they get from any other
source.