[Insight-developers] itkVTKPolyDataReader.h reads ascii only --- why?

brian avants stnava at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:38:36 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone

I updated git-itk this morning.  Am trying to read a vtk mesh and
apply a transformation to it.  I get the error below that says,
basically, "File format is BINARY but only ASCII files can be read".
Is there a good reason for this limitation?    Is it not true that vtk
files can be of type ASCII, binary or xml?   Should all of those be
supported?   Should the filter(s) be named
itkVTKAsciiPolyDataReader/Writer?    Finally, is anyone working on
this or is the solution in the software pipeline?

Thanks!

Brian

Input object: Mesh.vtk
Error during Update()

itk::ExceptionObject (0x101abc640)
Location: "void itk::VTKPolyDataReader<TOutputMesh>::GenerateData()
[with TOutputMesh = itk::Mesh<double, 3u,
itk::DefaultStaticMeshTraits<double, 3u, 3u, float, float, double> >]"
File: /Users/brianavants/code/ITK/Code/IO/itkVTKPolyDataReader.txx
Line: 107
file: WM.vtk
File format is BINARY but only ASCII files can be read.