[Insight-developers] itkVTKPolyDataReader.h reads ascii only --- why?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 13 16:49:34 EDT 2010

Hi Brian,

This reader was implemented as a helper class for
other initiatives.

Managing only ASCII was the first easy way to get
it done.

Binary just need to be added to its capabilities.

Would you be interested in modifying the class
and adding the Binary reading capability ?

-

The support for XML is a more difficult proposition.
The implementation in VTK relies on a hierarchy
of helper classes.  It can certainly be done in ITK
but it will require several weeks of effort.

I would suggest to deal only with the Binary
reading capability initially.