[Insight-developers] Why does the KWStyle hook not let me commit, and why can't I turn the **&@#$ing thing off?

Matthew McCormick (thewtex) matt at mmmccormick.com
Wed Oct 13 16:14:49 EDT 2010

Hi Kent,

> This is killing me -- even if I fix the files it objects to, I still get the
> same pre-commit hook failure! Furthermore, in Emacs I can see the trailing
> white spaces it's finding and they no longer exist in the files I'm trying
> to commit!

Are you possibly forgetting to add the new changes to the files after
they have been changed?  This is done with

  git add <file name>

or

  git commit -a

to automatically add all changes to files already tracked by Git.

> And it's complaining about trailing white space even though I've set the
> KWStyle hook to false!

KWStyle will catch trailing whitespaces on all C++ files, but an
additional pre-commit check occurs that checks for trailing whitespace
on all text files.  It is not disabled by turning of the KWStyle hook.

Matt