[Insight-developers] Gerrit Open Topics Noise

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 15 14:07:43 EDT 2010

First:  I think that gerrit has the potential to be VERY beneficial to the
ITK development efforts.

However, it could easily become a deterrent to expanding the developer
community.

As a gatekeeper, it is of paramount important that it is 1) fair, 2) quick
for both rejections and acceptance, and 3) not a bottle neck holding up a
lot of development.

Here are some of my complaints/concerns about gerrit:
1. There are too many open topics that are
        a) Not actively being worked on
                 **  <http://review.source.kitware.com/77> BUG: 8524 Enabled
test of streamer with multidimensional splitter
<http://review.source.kitware.com/77>
                **  BUG: 8524 revised MultidimensionalSlitter algorithm to
work <http://review.source.kitware.com/78>
                **  Add initial support for C# wrapping
<http://review.source.kitware.com/89>
        b) In the wrong state (and I do not have access rights to change
them to abandoned or to fix them)
                **  Added documentation.
<http://review.source.kitware.com/75>  should be in merged
                **  BUG11297: Runtime warning in TransformMeshFilter
<http://review.source.kitware.com/113>  should be merged
        c) Claim to be ready to merge, but only through teleconference
backdoor information has this been waiting
                **  <http://review.source.kitware.com/76> Updated libtiff to
version 4.0beta6. <http://review.source.kitware.com/76>
    2.   Poluted by VTK and SimpleITK patches.  I only care about ITK work,
and the rest is noise that needs to be sifted through to get to the ITK
stuff.

So here are some suggestions to prevent race condidtions in merging to clog
up the works of getting items through gerrit:

First:  We should all strive to get things out of Gerrit ASAP.  The minimum
reward for contributing, learing git/gerrit/ITK policies is that your work
is not held up in bureaucratic chaos.  Few thing can take the wind out of a
developers sails than 3 weeks waiting for a patch to be approved so that the
next dependant item can be worked on easily.

Second: Add a 4th ³On-Hold² category (Abandoned, Open, Merged, On-Hold), any
thing that is more than 3 weeks without activity gets pushed to the On-Hold
category.   In addition, sometimes a patch set is reviewed and approved by
several people, and there is a good reason to hold off merging for a bit
(i.e. coordination with other efforts, see tiff topic above).     The
³Owner² of a 3 week dormant topic needs to do one of the following:
    * Squeak louder and  drum up some more support
    * Abandon the work
    * Just go ahead and do the merge without explicit community approval

Third:  Allow selection of which projects you want to see.   I do not want
to see VTK topics.

Forth:  Build some sort of ³robot verifier² that auto commits a review for
Windows and Unix.  The review should contain a link to the dashboard results
of that build.    I find that the process of verifying that the build
succeeds and tests pass is very mechanical, but takes 1hour per topic to
test.  Additionally, I don¹t have the resources to test Windows builds.

Regards,
Hans

--
Hans J. Johnson, Ph.D.