[Insight-developers] Chasing some ITK Bug tracker bugs -- silly 'defensive' coding == 100s of warnings.

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 21 16:39:19 EDT 2010

I'm compiling with the following gcc flags, to try and verify that ITK4 has
no problems with word width in 64-bit compiles.

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-Wall -W -Wshadow -Wunused-variable
-Wunused-parameter -Wunused-function -Wunused -Wno-system-headers
-Wwrite-strings -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage -Wno-deprecated
-Woverloaded-virtual

But I ran into this construct that happens over and over again, and it kinda
blows my mind:

for(unsigned j = 0; j < something; j++)
  {
  assert(j >= 0);
  ... actual code ...
  }

There are dozens and dozens of asserts in ITK that check to make unsigned
integers don't have negative values.

Can I start a topic on gerrit to take them out?