[Insight-developers] Gerrit push throws warnings? Who knew?

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 26 14:21:54 EDT 2010

I just pushed this topic http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,240

and got this message when I did the push:

git push gerrit
HEAD:refs/for/master/itkCannySegmentationLevelSetFunction-TemplateBugfix
Counting objects: 17, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (9/9), done.
Writing objects: 100% (9/9), 1.22 KiB, done.
Total 9 (delta 8), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: (W) 1728bd0: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first
paragraph
remote: (W) 1728bd0: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap
lines
remote:
remote: New Changes:
remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/240
remote:
To kentwilliams at review.source.kitware.com:ITK
 * [new branch]      HEAD ->
refs/for/master/itkCannySegmentationLevelSetFunction-TemplateBugfix

I had no idea topic names were supposed to be <=65 characters, or that
commit messages had to be < 70 characters.

Is this documented somewhere?

And it's already kind of a drag that git doesn't like log messages > 78
characters -- what's the deal with Gerrit being even pickier?

I've run into error messages if I use a multiline commit log message (don't
remember where or how) but this is the first time I've been warned!