[Insight-developers] Gerrit push throws warnings? Who knew?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Oct 26 14:47:42 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM, kent williams
<norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
> I just pushed this topic http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,240
>
> and got this message when I did the push:
>
> git push gerrit
> HEAD:refs/for/master/itkCannySegmentationLevelSetFunction-TemplateBugfix
> Counting objects: 17, done.
> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (9/9), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (9/9), 1.22 KiB, done.
> Total 9 (delta 8), reused 0 (delta 0)
> remote: (W) 1728bd0: commit subject >65 characters; use shorter first
> paragraph
> remote: (W) 1728bd0: commit message lines >70 characters; manually wrap
> lines
> remote:
> remote: New Changes:
> remote:   http://review.source.kitware.com/240
> remote:
> To kentwilliams at review.source.kitware.com:ITK
>  * [new branch]      HEAD ->
> refs/for/master/itkCannySegmentationLevelSetFunction-TemplateBugfix
>
> I had no idea topic names were supposed to be <=65 characters, or that
> commit messages had to be < 70 characters.

It is referring to the first line of your commit message should be
<=65 characters, not the topic name, although very long topic names do
become less useful I don't see a warning about that. The commit
messages can be as long as you wish, but the lines should be less than
70 characters. You can have multiple lines and multiple paragraphs.

> Is this documented somewhere?

There is a quick reference we have been working on that has this under
general guidance, and I could add a section in the wiki. This is a
warning, and not an error.

> And it's already kind of a drag that git doesn't like log messages > 78
> characters -- what's the deal with Gerrit being even pickier?

I am not sure if Gerrit is configurable, but you can safely ignore the
warnings. I think the local hooks do some checks to ensure log
messages are properly formatted.

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.