[Insight-developers] finding/using type_traits facility from C++0x?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 27 13:08:58 EDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:54:03 +0200, Tom Vercauteren said:

>My feeling is that sadly c++0x might be too new to use in ITK mostly
>because of mac. It indeed looks like the to-be-release XCode 4, will
>not ship with c++Ox support. Since I am not a mac expert, I'd love to
>hear someone contradict me on this point.

Well, Apple famously never tells anyone about its future plans. :(  And
Xcode 4 is under NDA.

But what's certain is that Apple is not interested in gcc anymore, as
evidenced by a) the fact that even the current Xcode is still at gcc
4.2.1 and b) they are working lots on llvm/clang.

clang's C++ support is described here:

<http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html>

Their focus seems to be complete C++03 support first, then C++0x support
(which makes sense I guess, since C++0x is not yet finished/ratified).

The current Xcode (3.2.4) comes with "Apple clang version 1.5 (tags/
Apple/clang-60)".  I'm guessing that's some branch of clang, but don't
know the correspondance with the clang svn repro.  It may or may not
already support whatever C++0x features you guys are talking about.  But
it's not the default system compiler, though I suspect it will be for 10.7.

hth,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com