[Insight-developers] KWStyle as an ITK submodule?

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Oct 28 14:04:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm still trying to lower the effort required to contribute to ITK.
The progress on that side are really nice already, but there are still
improvable points :-)

The next point in my opinion is KWStyle.

At this time, to contribute to ITK we have to
(0. maybe install git)
1. create a gerrit account
2. run the following three commands
     git clone git://itk.org/ITK.git
     cd ITK
     ./Utilities/SetupForDevelopment.sh
3. install KWStyle

and then, iteratively

   git pullall
   git checkout -b branchName
   -- edit, save, test, edit, ...
   git add/commit
   git gerrit-push
   git checkout master

installing git is probably quite easy, because it is provided for many
OS, and it is widely used so it may be already installed on the OS.

KWStyle is not (yet) as widely used and may not be available in a
binary package for the contributor's OS.

I think it would be nice to have KWStyle as a submodule of ITK so that
it can be retrieved by SetupForDevelopment.sh and built at the same
time than ITK. This would remove the step 3 in the list above.

There would also be a few nice side effects:
- it would be easier to run the style check in ITK
- it would be easier to require a specific version of KWStyle

What do you think?

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann