[Insight-developers] failing ITK tests when using clang, reduced test case, need C++ expert

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Dec 5 16:01:38 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:

>>> Likely it is a different version of clang.  Our build machines are
>>using a build from clang's svn trunk of about a week ago.  Which version
>>do you use?
>>>

>>The one that came with Xcode 4.1 on Lion:
>
> Could you try two things?  1) Stub out ITK_NO_RETURN in itkMacro.h and see if those 5 tests start to pass and 2) Try building & running the snippit from my 1st email.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com
> Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
> Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

Easy thing first: build your snippet (saved as main.cxx) and run it.
Crashes with "Segmentation fault: 11"

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ cat ../CMakeLists.txt
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
project(testTheClang)

add_executable(testing123 main.cxx)

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ export CC=clang

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ export CXX=clang++

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ cmake ..
-- The C compiler identification is Clang
-- The CXX compiler identification is Clang
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/clang -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/clang++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /Users/kitware/david.cole/b2

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ make
Scanning dependencies of target testing123
[100%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/testing123.dir/main.cxx.o
Linking CXX executable testing123
[100%] Built target testing123

kitware at dashmacmini5 ~/david.cole/b2
$ ./testing123
Segmentation fault: 11

Sorry, but I don't have time to do the other experiment anytime
soon... Maybe somebody else listening here has some time for that?

Cheers,
David