[Insight-developers] failing ITK tests when using clang, reduced test case, need C++ expert

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Dec 5 16:50:16 EST 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:29:19 -0500, David Cole said:

>Why does our dashmacmini5 build using clang only have 5 failing tests?
>
>http://cdash.org/CDash/buildSummary.php?buildid=1790208

Ah, it could be because you're building Release.  Others commenters in bugzilla noted that the ITK tests pass in Release (but not Debug).  Even that though seems to depend on the version of clang.

In any case, after discussions with llvm folks, we now feel this is an ITK bug, not a clang bug.

1) itkImageSource decorates ThreadedGenerateData with ITK_NO_RETURN, but the overridden declarations in subclasses do not have this decoration.

2) more importantly, these methods marked noreturn do in fact return (as best as we can tell).

3) the comments in itkMacro.h suggest ITK_NO_RETURN was created merely to silence a gcc warning.

So, I've created a patch that purges ITK_NO_RETURN, in the hopes that whatever compiler warned is no longer supported by ITK4.

<http://review.source.kitware.com/3447>

Can someone trigger a test build of it?  (Is that something I can do myself somehow?)

If some compiler still warns about something, I'm sure we can find a better way to suppress that warning...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com