[Insight-developers] trying to fix mac warnings

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 23 13:37:21 EST 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:29:50 +0000, Johnson, Hans J said:

>I've seen this type of behavior when conditional code exists for only one
>platform, but not another.  This file is an empty file on all platforms
>except WIN64.

Exactly, here's a summary:
<http://lists.apple.com/archives/Unix-porting/2008/Apr/msg00027.html>

>There are two ways I've worked around this:
>Clean but painful:  only complile this conditionally when WIN64 is needed.
>Easy but ugly:      make a new function that is always compiled called
>"void
>i_am_a_dummyfunction_to_silence_compiler_warning_vnl_c_vector_longlong_cxx(
>void) {};

The ugly way may merely trade one warning for another. The compiler, or
a static analysis tool, may warn that the function is never used.  And
even if not, imho, it's worse to export a public symbol that does
nothing than to have this warning.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com