[Insight-developers] ITK-SpatialObject -- implicit dependency on MetaIO needs to be explicit?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Mon Jun 13 12:24:50 EDT 2011

I just got sucked into the vortex of the SpatialObject module, in order to
complete the new FEM integration.

In order for ITK-SpatialObject NOT to depend on ITK-FEM (for that way lies
circularity), I need to add a decoupled way for the MetaSceneConverter to
convert MetaFEMObject, so I'm adding a singleton/dictionary class.

But in doing that I ran into this craziness: All sorts of files in
Modules/Core/SpatialObject/include include files from ITK-MetaIO, but
ITK-SpatialObject doesn't depend on ITK-MetaIO!

I need to add an actual CXX file to ITK-SpatialObjects/src to handle the
singleton, and it has to include metaObject.h.  So is it going to make
anyone mad if I add te module dependency on ITK-MetaIO?

I only ask because every time I've added a dependency in the past, someone
gets stressed.
Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu