[Insight-developers] ITK & WrapITK Install better, still not great.

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed May 4 17:01:40 EDT 2011

So say you want to use ITK with Wrapping.  Wrapping demands shared
libraries, which means you have to fool around with setting
{DY}LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If you use TCL (as we do) TCLLIBPATH, or the
equivalent environment variable for the wrapping language of your choice
needs setting as well.

So here's the situation right now:

1. ITK libraries go into ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib
2. ITK Config files (I.e. where you want to point ITK_DIR) go
   into ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0
3. WrapITK libraries go into
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/lib
4. WrapITK Tcl files goes into
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/Tcl
5. Python stuff goes into
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/lib &
   ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/ITK-4.0/WrapITK/Python

Now I don't know what the right thing to do is, but it's a complete change
from ITKV3.x

Before all the libraries went to
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/InsightToolkit, & Wrapping stuff went into
.../InsightToolkit/WrapITK ...

The ITK3 wasn't that bad, but the ITK4 way is squirrelly. Especially in
these respects:

1. Putting the CMake stuff in .../lib/cmake/ITK-4.0 instead of in
.../lib/InsightToolkit
2. Putting the libraries in .../lib instead of .../lib/InsightToolkit
3. ESPECIALLY WrapITK burying its libraries in .../lib/cmake/ITK-4.0

So which of the things the current Install process does are by design, and
which are done just by happenstance?