[Insight-developers] DiffeomorphicDemonsRegistrationFilter/ESMDemonsRegistrationFunction broken!

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Fri Nov 4 14:56:23 EDT 2011

These classes are in ITK4 in ITK/Modules/NonUnit/Review -- they come from
this Insight Journal Paper, and apparently didn't make it out of review
for ITK4:

http://hdl.handle.net/1926/510
I've just spent an hour diffing the ITK3 Version vs the ITK4 Version vs
the custom version we use in BRAINSDemonWarp. The ITK3 and ITK4 versions
have only changed in formatting.  The version we use in BRAINSDemonWarp
just adds the ability to use fixed and moving image masks -- the
calculation short cuts for voxels outside the masks.

BRAINSDemonWarp works fine with ITK3, and works terribly in ITK4.  In
ITK4, if you register 2 images and then warp the moving image, it looks as
though the subject was shot in the head; big chunks of the brain are
missing.

I've spent considerable time whittling down a test case that works in ITK3
and fails in ITK4.  The result can be grabbed here:

https://github.com/Chaircrusher/BDE_Testing

I'm building the current ITK4 to run the tests in
DiffeomorphicDemonsRegistrationFilter/ESMDemonsRegistrationFunction, to
see if they succeed or fail.  If they succeed, then I think the program in
the above github project needs to be added as a test. Or they need to be
removed from ITK4 entirely as defective.

A final process question: Is there an interactive DIFF program that will
ignore white space changes? Since all of the style changes that happened
in ITK4, it's a horrible chore diffing ITK3 and ITK4 files.  You have to
examine hundreds of changes to find the substantive changes.

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu