[Insight-developers] MeshIO: Low coverage uncovers errors

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:50:16 EDT 2011

Folks,

I am concerned about the lack of test coverage in newly merged code. I
decided to look at the newly merged MeshIO classes.

Topic: http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2422

The topic had 7 reviewers (I was one of them).  It seems that it was
approved because it compiled and all of the author's tests passed. However,
the code coverage is very low. I never looked at the code before the merge
(my bad).

I looked at the OBJMeshIO class, since I am familiar with the Wavefront obj
format. The class had very low coverage. I modified the input file so that
it contained point normals. The code failed to parse the file properly. The
current topic parses the file properly, but does not populate the mesh point
data correctly.

New topic: http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,2641

I am concerned that the MeshIO classes have not been validated.

This illustrates a shortcoming in our current process. Code is getting
merged that has low test coverage. Also, some results are difficult to
validate.

I will continue to look at these classes and fix the formats that I am
familiar with. I hope others can help.

Bill