[Insight-developers] Remove Testing/Data submodule

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Sep 27 15:01:56 EDT 2011

On 9/23/2011 10:56 AM, Brad King wrote:
> There are two issues that must be resolved before we can merge this change
> and finally drop use of submodules from ITK:
>
> (1) Dashboard submissions must be updated to the new itk_common.cmake

Many of these scripts have been updated.  Some have not.  Please check yours!

> (2) There are many duplicate content links in the new tree
[snip]
> will have to start requiring CMake 2.8.5 on Windows.

This has been done.

All that remains to remove Testing/Data is to merge my topic branch that does it.
Once that happens though there will be some hiccups for all existing clones.
This is because Git does not automatically remove submodules from the work tree
to avoid losing any local commits or configuration.  Therefore everyone will need
to update as follows:

   git checkout master
   rm -rf Testing/Data
   git pull

Any topic branches that have been started based on versions of master before this
merge should be rebased on master after this merge.  Otherwise you will have
problems switching your work tree between versions with the submodule and
versions without it.

I'm not going to perform this merge until we have understanding on the above.

-Brad