[Insight-developers] Problems with Visual Studio 2010 linkage -- any experts?

Félix C. Morency felix.morency at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:09:17 EDT 2012

I'm no expert but watch out for the DCMTK_OVERWRITE_WIN32_COMPILER_FLAGS in
the CMakeLists.txt that will overwrite any compiler flags you might
customize.

-F

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> http://forum.dcmtk.org/**viewtopic.php?t=35<http://forum.dcmtk.org/viewtopic.php?t=35>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-**us/library/abx4dbyh%28v=vs.80%**29.aspx<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh%28v=vs.80%29.aspx>
>

> LIBCPMTD is the static run time library for MS VS.
>
> MSVCRTD is the dynamic dll run time library for MS VS.
>
> Debug Multithreaded (/MTd)      LIBCMTD.LIB / LIBCPMTD.LIB
> Debug Multithreaded /DLL (MDd)  MSVCRTD.LIB / MSVCPRTD.LIB
>

> What CMake generator are you using?
>
> -Bill
>

> On 11/2/2012 2:45 PM, Williams, Norman K wrote:
>
>> I'm trying not to hate Visual Studio.  I'm hoping someone here can help me
>> not to.
>>
>> I'm building DCMTK and then using USE_SYSTEM_DCMTK to build ITK with the
>> new DCMTKIO.  Through the generous help of Brad King, it works on Windows
>> now - mostly.  The problem is that there's a library collision between the
>> DCMTK and ITK libraries when I try to link the ITK tests.
>>
>> I've tried Googling for solutions and the consensus of the Internet
>> suggests no solutions and says basically "yes this happens and yes it's
>> annoying."
>>
>> I can understand how I might make this happen -- use different library
>> models for DCMTK and ITK.  But I've looked at the CMakeCache.txt for both
>> projects and all the
>> compiler and linker flags are identical.
>>
>> Anyone run into this and know how to make it work?
>>
>> Here's a representative excerpt of the output:
>> 605>msvcprtd.lib(MSVCP100D.**dll) : error LNK2005: "public: class
>> std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char> > & __thiscall
>> std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char> >::put(char)"
>> (?put@?$basic_ostream at DU?$**char_traits at D@std@@@std@@**QAEAAV12 at D@Z)
>> already
>> defined in oflog.lib(oflog.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __strdup already defined
>> in LIBCMTD.lib(strdup.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __unlink already defined
>> in LIBCMTD.lib(unlink.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: _strtol already defined in
>> LIBCMTD.lib(strtol.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __fileno already defined
>> in LIBCMTD.lib(fileno.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: _vsprintf already defined
>> in LIBCMTD.lib(vsprintf.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __get_osfhandle already
>> defined in LIBCMTD.lib(osfinfo.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __write already defined in
>> LIBCMTD.lib(write.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __lseeki64 already defined
>> in LIBCMTD.lib(lseeki64.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __aligned_malloc already
>> defined in LIBCMTD.lib(dbgheap.obj)
>>
>> 605>MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR100D.dll) : error LNK2005: __aligned_free already
>> defined in LIBCMTD.lib(dbgheap.obj)

> [...]

Félix C. Morency, M.Sc.
Plateforme d’analyse et de visualisation d’images
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke
Centre de recherche clinique Étienne-Le Bel
Local Z5-3031 | 819.346.1110 ext 16634