[Insight-developers] Our software process is getting sloppy

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:58:37 EST 2012

Folks,

We are starting to get sloppy in our software process. To some extent
gerrit is enabling this because it presents us with a false sense of
security.

1) It seems like folks are approving patches that they have not
verified either through the robot builds or checking the code on their
own systems.
2) We are approving topics that show failures on the robot builds.
3) What used to be one of our main tools for continuous integration,
the continuous build, is not effective. I don't think anyone pays
attention to it.
And we only have one continuous build system.
For example, looking at today's
continuous I see KWStyle errors that have been there for at least 8
days.
4) There are so many platforms with failing compiles and/or tests,
that the cdash email's are not useful. For example, I get over 25
emails a day from cdash just for ITK.
5) It's apparent that developers are not checking the dashboard the
day after they committed their changes.

I'm not picking on anyone. I'm as guilty as anyone. I'm picking on all
of us. Nor is it just ITK.
VTK is even worse.

The only solution we have so far is "the big stick".

Bill