[Insight-developers] ITK in the Raspberry Pi (Webinars March 13 / April 10 )

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Feb 21 15:33:24 EST 2013

Kent,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Williams, Norman K <
norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Awesome.  How long does it take to build ITK on a Rasberry Pie,

It takes about 5 days if you build all ITK,
including examples and testing natively
in the board.

and about 14 hours if one cross-compile it:
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/428

> and
> doesn't the memory size limitations cause some issues?

Nope.

The Raspberry Pi has the same specifications of the
computer for which we designed ITK ten years ago:

                       512 Mb RAM

Memory was not an issue while building.

Not that anyone's going to do hardcore analysis of high resolution 3D
> volumes on a Rasberry Pi. ;-)

Never say never.... :-)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57513107-1/supercomputer-clicked-together-from-legos-and-raspberry-pis/

With $5,000 worth of Raspberry Pis (and some
LEGOS) one can build a modest supercomputer.   :-)

Note that each Raspberry Pi is a $35 computer,
or even $25 if you get the model without Ethernet
port and a single USB port.

At that price one can get 100 Raspberry Pis for
the cost of a regular laptop.