[Insight-users] Visual 6.0 problems

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:39:24 -0500

Hi Bradley,

You are doing the right thing,
ITK.dsw is the workspace file to load.

  VC++ is in fact NOT crashing !

What happens is that ITK has a large set of test programs
which are used for quality assurance.  We have about 250
test files that exercise the functionality of most of the classes.
That allows to rapidly detect bugs introduced in the code
when  new functionalities are added.

This is what you can see every day in ITK dashboard:

http://www.itk.org/Testing/Dashboard/MostRecentResults-Nightly/Dashboard.html

All these test are recompiled several times a day in about
ten different platforms.

There is a .dsp file for each one of these test, so what you
perceive as crashing (I assume that you refer to the fact
that VC++ freezes for a while) it is just the time that VC++
requires for loading all these tests.

Well, that's for the bad news...

Now, for the good news:  there are two ways in which
you can  avoid this long time for loading:

Option One:
In principle you don't need the testing. It is nice to have
because it allows you to make sure that the toolkit was
correctly built in your system.... but you can just build the
library.  In that case you can simply disable "BUILD_TESTING"
when you run CMake. That will prevent CMake from
creating all the .dsp files corresponding to tests.
You will still get the .dsp project files for the libraries and for
the examples.

Option Two:
This testing mechanisms has been replaced by the very
reason you are now concerned about:  The long time for
Right now all the tests are factorized in about six or seven
big test projects so the load time is much, much better.
These changes was not done in the Beta release but in the
current version of the library. If you update your ITK code
by downloading the library using CVS, you will get these
new testing structure that loads nicely into VC++.

Option One is maybe the quick way of getting around
this problem while Option Two is probably your best bet
for the long term.

Hope that helps,

Luis