[Insight-users] Re: Specifying connectivity while using confidence connected image filter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 10:04:37 -0500

Hi Valli,

The correct connectivities in 3D are
12-connectedness which reproduces the
neighborhood structure of the FCC grid,
and the 14-connectedness which reproduces
the neighborhood structure of the BCC grid.

You may replace the current 6-connectedness
with a 26-connectedness but the second one
will have the complementary problems of the
first one.

The ConfidenceConnected filter uses internally a
FloodFill iterator.  The iterator uses a 2N
conectivity (4-connectedness in 2D, 6-connectedness
in 3D, 8-connectedness in 4D...)

At the moment there is no a direct way to modify
the connectivity in the iterator.

An option you may want to consider is to write your
own flood fill iterator by modifying the code in the
FloodFill.

You probably only want to do this for 3D...

Please let us know if you need any details on how
to modify the iterator.