[Insight-users] Re: Specifying connectivity while using confidence connected image filter

cspl affable@hd2.dot.net.in
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:36:42 +0530

Dear Mr.Luis,
 Thnak U for your reply.Here are the few lines what I understood about the
ConfidenceConnectImagefilter class and floodfill iterator.Tell me whether I
am correct or not?

ConfidenceConnectImagefilter extracts a connected set of pixels whose pixel
intensities are consistent with the pixel statistics of a seed point. The
mean and variance across a neighborhood (8-connected, 26-connected, etc.)
are calculated for a seed point. Then pixels connected to this seed point
whose values are within the confidence interval for the seed point are
grouped. The width of the confidence interval is controlled by the
"Multiplier" variable (the confidence interval is the mean plus or minus the
"Multiplier" times the standard deviation).

Connectivity problem comes into picture while calculating mean and variance.
ConfidenceConnectImageFilter class uses following classes internally.

itkFloodFilledImageFunctionConditionalIterator.h
itkFloodFilledImageFunctionConditionalConstIterator.h
itkBinaryThresholdImageFunction.h

itkMeanImageFunction.h
Calculate the mean value in the neighborhood of a pixel.
Calculate the mean pixel value over the standard 8, 26, etc. connected
neighborhood.
This class is using the itkConstSmartNeighborhoodIterator to create kernel
and calculating mean based on that.

In the floodfilliterator i didn't found any lines related to connectivity to
modify.
Could u please help in modifying the code.

This is what i understood after reading the documentation and code.
If I am wrong  then sorry and  please correct me.

Regards,
Valli.