[Insight-users] Re: question: ITK Examples

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:33:43 -0500

Hi Fj,

About the examples:

Not all the examples in ITK use graphic interface. Some of
them are expected to be run from the command line. You can
run them from a MS-DOS command window or if you have
Cygwin installed you can also use your bash shell window.

About what you are seeing when you run the examples:

- itkEllipsoidInteriorExteriorSpatialFunctionExample
- FEM

is the MS-DOS windows comming up, running the example
and closing. That's perfectly normal. Just run them from an
MS-DOS window directly.

Just to clarify: ITK doesn't provide any visualization at all.
It is not attached to FLTK or VTK either. The reason for
this is that everybody want visualization... but with a different
tool. So attaching ITK to a particular visualization style will
necessarily eliminate a lot of users. ITK should be considered
an "Image Processing Engine" that you can use for developping
applications.

About the Fuzzy connectedness example: most examples have
a README file in their respective directory and a web page
located at:

http://public.kitware.com/Insight/HTML/Examples.htm

It is probably that some examples are still missing one or the other.
For FuzzyConnectedness you will find two files:

Readme.doc
Readme.pdf

located at : Insight/Examples/FuzzyConnectedness (with the code)

--------------------

About the problem with Auxiliary:
You can turn Auxiliary "ON" whithout having to install VTK.
Just make sure that you set

USE_INSTALL_VTK to "OFF"
USE_BINARY_VTK to "OFF"

The Auxiliary directory provides extra code that help us
to create simple applications for the Examples. This directory
is *not* considered part of ITK but is very convenient for the
purpose of the Examples. Without this directory we will only
be able to write examples that run from the Comman line.

Auxiliary contains a mix of things, some parts require FLTK,
some parts require VTK. If you turn them off selectively they
should not be a problem.