[Insight-users] Speedimage for FastMarchingImageFilter

Lydia Ng lng@insightful.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 09:40:05 -0700

Hi Nils and Bjorn,

> > In which correlation are the value in the speed image and=20
> the step the
> > evolving front is going outwards within one timestep?
>=20
> I'm not too familiar with the internals of the fast marching filter.
> Perhaps someone else on this list would care to answer this question?

The fast marching filter produces an image which the corresponds to the=20
time of arrival of the front at each pixel. So if you want to know
where the front is at time T, you will need to threshold the output at =
T.
The boundary between values less than T and values greater than T is=20
the position of the front at time T.

So if the speed image is an image of ones the output should be =
concenteric circles
(or a cone if you view the value as elevation). That is, the front =
(which starts
as one point) is marching out uniformly from the seed point.

As Bjorn described, if you used a speed image that is close to one in
homogenous areas and close to zero near edges that the front will get
"stuck" at the edges - thereby delineating the boundaries.

Of course, the quality of the delineation depends on how sharp the
edges are. If the edges are fuzzy, then the gradient might be small
the fast marching algorithm will eventually walk pass it.

BTW: James Sethian has great website explaining fastmarching
and level sets:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~sethian/Explanations/interface_explain.html

Hope this helps.

> The EdgePotentialImageFilter is supposed to do the former for you:
>=20
> <URL:http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1EdgePotential
> ImageFilter.html>
>=20
> This filter didn't work too well the last time I tried it, but maybe
> it has been fixed by now.  (Is that to be considered a bug report?)

Bjorn:
Thanks for your feedback.=20
If you have time could you detail the problems you are having=20
and we'll look into it.

Cheers,
Lydia=20