[Insight-users] "configure" dumps core - problem with /bin/sh

Jarek Sacha galicjan at yahoo . com
Wed, 29 May 2002 15:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

It is a 32 processor SGI running IRIX 6.5. I do not have root access.
System administrator is aware of the problem. We still did not know yet
exactly why /bin/sh is crashing on large scripts (configure for vcl has
6,438 lines).

I am able to build ITK if I edit configure to use bash or run configure
manually from bash so that the header files are generated. Just looking
for a "cleaner" way to build ITK on that system. Noticed that cmake
generates a SHELL variable for each Makefile, thought that there may be a
way to setup what shell cmake is using.

Jarek

--- Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman@kitware.com> wrote:
> I don't think there is an easy way to change what shell cmake uses for
> the
> configure scripts.   What OS is this?   Do you have root access?  If
> /bin/sh is broken, is there some reason you can not fix it?
>
> -Bill
>

> At 08:48 AM 5/29/2002 -0700, Jarek Sacha wrote:
> >Short question is: How to setup ITK to use shell other then /bin/sh,
> e.g.
> >bash, when running scripts executed by cmake or Makefiles generated by
> >cmake?
> >
> >Now for longer explanation.
> >I have problem running cmake for ITK on one of my systems. "configure"
> >scripts called by cmake in vxl and vcl directories always dump core.
> cmake
> >does not report any problems (a bug?), but since "configure" scripts
> are
> >not able to complete, the header files that should be generated for vxl
> >and vcl are not there. The problem is caused by buggy /bin/sh (this is
> >established). A solution would be to run "configure" using some other
> >shell, e.g. bash. I tested it by editing "configure" and replacing
> /bin/sh
> >with path to bash; no crashes and header files are generated correctly.
> >Unmodified configure files executed by bash also do not crash. It looks
> >that if cmake would use different shell to execute scripts crash
> problem
> >could be avoided. Is there a way to ask cmake to use different shell?
> >
> >Jarek

=====
---