[Insight-users] installation problem

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:07:43 -0500

Hi Ofri,

That's right.

For every new project you start, you must create a CMakeLists.txt
that configure all the components required for your application.
It is just like creating a Makefile in Unix: you need one for
every application.

Now,
just to clarify that CMake is not a monopole, you don't *have*
to do it this way,.. this is just the *easy* way to do it.
A courageous programmer (with a lot of spare time to...'use') can
always configure his Makefile (on unix) or his .dsw in VC++ by
setting up all the options manually. However keep in mind that the
historical reason for the existance of CMake is that VTK/ITK
developers got tired of tweaking makefiles and VC++ projects by
hand.

CMake is a quite powerful tool in itself. Totally independent of
its use in ITK and VTK, CMake is certainly the easiest way to
correctly configure an application.

If you add multiplatform as a requirement, CMake is probably the
only way to configure an application for being run in: VC++ 6,
VC++ 7, Borland, Cygwin, Linux, Sun, Irix and Mac.

You got all this just by writing only this single CMakeLists.txt file.