[Insight-users] Re: ITK ImageRegistration example

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:09:27 -0400

Hi Chia-Chi

Here are the steps you can follow for running the
ImageRegistration example.

This describes how to use it with the images from the BrainWeb
project available on the ftp site:

   ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/BrainWeb/

In particular:

   Fixed  Image:  brainweb1e1a10f20.mha
   Moving Image:  brainweb1e1a10f20Rot10Tx15.mha

The second image has been rotated intentionally
by 20 degrees around the Z axis and translated 15
pixels along the X axis.  This facilitates testing
registration runs.

Please follow these steps

1) click on the "Load" button beside "Fixed Image" and
    load the file  "brainweb1e1a10f20.mha"

2) when the buttons turn green, click on "Fixed Image",
    a small window will popup with a viewer that allows
    you to visualize the image slice by slice.

3) click on the "Load" button beside "Moving Image" and
    load the file  "brainweb1e1a10f20Rot10Tx15.mha"

4) when the buttons turn green, click on "Moving Image",
    an independet viewer will appear showing this new image.

5) Click on the "Resample Filter" button.  This is intended
    to apply a known rigid transformation to the loaded image.
    Since in this case we are loading an image for which we
    already know the missregistraiton parameters  you can leave
    an identity transform here (this is the default).  If later
    you want to use this feature, you will have to write the
    x,y,z components of a translation on the "Translation" box,
    and the angle "A" and components of the axis vector around
    which you want to apply a rotation. The rotation is applied
    first and then is followed by the translation.

6) When the "Moving Image" button after the "Resample Filter"
    turns green click on it. A viewer with the image will appear.
    It should look just as the image you loaded, since an identity
    transform is being applied by the resample filter.

7) Select the metric you want to use for the registration.
    This is done with the "Metric" choice on top of the big
    "Registration Method" button.  Select "Mean Squares" for
    a first run.

8) Select the Transform for which you want resolve the registration.
    This is done with the "Transform" choice box on top of the
    "Registration Method" button.  Select "Translation" for a first
    run.

9) Select the Interpolator to use when evaluating the moving image.
    This is done with the "Interpolator" choice on the upper right
    corner of the GUI. Please select "Nearest Neighbor" for a first
    run (this will be faster than the linear interpolator).

10) Select the Optimizer that will be used to explore the parameter
     space of the transform and optimize the value of the metric.
    This is done with the "Optimizer" choice box on the right of the
    GUI.  Please select "RegularStepGradientDescent" for a first run.

11) Now that all the component of the registration problem have been
    selected you can start the registration. Click on the "Start" button
    on the lower right of the GUI. The optimization process will start
    at this point. It will take a while, since this example is not
    using the MultiResolution framework.

12) When the registration process is done the "Registration Method"
    button will turn green. At this point you can resample the image
    using the "Resample Filter" on the lower right of the GUI. When
    the filter is done, you could see the result of the registration
    by clicking on the "Registrerd Image" button.

Please let us know if you encounter any problem running the example,