[Insight-users] How about use itk in remote sensing field?

Chen Fu novalet@yahoo.com.cn
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:52:01 +0800 (CST)

Hi!
I take a job in a national remote sensing institute of
China. In this institute, we receive and produce the
images of many satellites like LandSat(US),
SPOT(France) and so on.

I used opendx to do some processing on large image.
But opendx is still a linux/unix software, the port to
windows need many other stuff like cigwin or exceed(a
simulator of X windows).

ITK is a very good package for me. it's open source
and platform independent. and what's more it is
written by template, i like STL and template concept,
that make the c++ a unique language against java or
c#.

Now my interest is using ITK in remote sensing field.
I hope to build a Flow design interface use pipeline.
like the VIP(IDL), the user can drop several filter
blocks into the canvas, draw lines between ports of
blocks , change the text box on the blocks to tune the
parameter of filters. Then the flow can be run, and
user can check very result after a filter. I know itk
application use FLTK to own a GUI, but i think most
common users don't like programming, a drag-drop
pattern is much easier.

I am just a coder, and know little about the
segmentation and registration algorithm. Do you think
these algorithm used in medical image also fit the
satellite image and airplane photo? Is there any
parellel computing design in ITK, for the satellite is
very large(hundreds M or several G)?

any suggestion?

=====
Remote Scensing Satellite Ground Station
Chinese Academy of Science