[Insight-users] Mesh and FEM

Lara Vigneron Lara.Vigneron@ulg.ac.be
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:27:32 +0200

--------------C86F82854EA7002680872350

Dear all,

I have several questions about itkMesh and the FEM framework.

I saw that the "representation" of a mesh by itkMesh is made with points
and cells.

On the other hand, I want to use the itkFEMRegistrationFilter like in
the DeformableRegistration1.cxx example. For the moment, I would like to
create a mesh out of ITK and push into via the  CreateMesh method of the
itkFEMRegistrationFilter. However, I think the "representation"  of a
mesh in the FEM framework is made via arrays representing elements,
nodes and materials,  and I didn't find any link with the representation
of the mesh with points and cells (itkMesh). Is it correct?

And in this case, how can I use for instance the BoundaryFeature concept
of itkMesh with FEM?

Also, I saw that to enter a mesh with the CreateMesh method, you have to
inject a file characterizing the mesh via the parameter file (it is
asked for the MeshFileName near the end of the file) used in the
itkFEMRegistrationFilter ( an example of the parameter file is given
page 208 of the SoftwareGuide). Is there any example of a MeshFile
somewhere to see the synthax to use?

Lastly, I want to use several elements types with different material
properties. Is it sufficient if these different elements are noticed in
the MeshFile (see just above) and not in the parameter file where, for
instance, only one E value is given?

Thanks a lot for any help...

Lara

--
Lara VIGNERON

Signal Processing Group

University of Liege
Institut Montefiore
Sart-Tilman, Batiment B28
B-4000 Liege
BELGIUM

Tel: +32-(0)4-366.26.42
Fax: +32-(0)4-366.29.84
Lara.Vigneron@ulg.ac.be

--------------C86F82854EA7002680872350

Dear all,
and cells.
the DeformableRegistration1.cxx example. For the moment, I would like to
create a mesh out of ITK and push into via the&nbsp; CreateMesh method
of the itkFEMRegistrationFilter. However, I think the "representation"&nbsp;
of a mesh in the FEM framework is made via arrays representing elements,
nodes and materials,&nbsp; and I didn't find any link with the representation
of the mesh with points and cells (itkMesh). Is it correct?
of itkMesh with FEM?
to inject a file characterizing the mesh via the parameter file (it is
asked for the MeshFileName near the end of the file) used in the itkFEMRegistrationFilter
( an example of the parameter file is given page 208 of the SoftwareGuide).
Is there any example of a MeshFile somewhere to see the synthax to use?
properties. Is it sufficient if these different elements are noticed in
the MeshFile (see just above) and not in the parameter file where, for
instance, only one E value is given?
<pre>--&nbsp;
Lara VIGNERON

Signal Processing Group