[Insight-users] Reg 64X64 images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:22:10 -0400

Hi Prasad,

It is not surprising that your image lost most
information after the conversion.

If you converted floats to unsigned char just
by using C-style casting it is very likely that
you truncated the original float values.

Did you verified if the float values were in the
range [0,255] before casting them to unsigned chars ?

You should rather use a normalization filter,
like for example the

    itk::RescaleIntensityImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RescaleIntensityImageFilter.html

Examples on the use of this filter are available
on the SoftwareGuide:
http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
In the "Casting" section : 5.2, pdf-page 96.

In any case, there is not much that you can see
in a 64x64 image   :-)

I would suggest you to create a couple of synthetic
images of this resolution in order to test your
procedures, before you move into processing real
medical data. A typical example could be something
like a circle of radius 25pixels centered in the
64x64 image.