[Insight-users] Possible bug in Gipl file not being recognized

Martin Styner martin_styner@ieee.org
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:40:17 +0200

Hi Julien, Raghavendra
Here are my 2 cents to this.
Indeed there are different magic number's for the GIPL format. The
719555000 number is the original magic number written by programs like
rview. Rview was developed by the same group, who came up with the GIPL
file format (GIPL = Guy's and St. Thomas Hospitals Image Processing
Library format). The other magic number was introduced in the EU
Biomorph project that used GIPL as its main data exchange format. Why a
different magic number? I don't know, but these 2 numbers are the only
ones I have seen.

Best regards
Martin

Julien Jomier wrote:
> Raghavendra,
>
> It appears that the magic number in your gipl is different from what it's
> expected:
> Magic Number: 719555000 (your file)
> Magic Number: 4026526128 (other files)
>
> And the CanReadFile() function in the GiplIO class is checking the magic
> number.
> However, it seems that some programs, like rview, are writing 719555000 for
> the magic number.
> What software did you use to produce this image?
>
> I don't know wich one of these two numbers is the right one; if someone has
> an answer?
>
> I just checked in a fix in the repository. Now GiplImageIO accepts these two
> magic numbers.
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> Julien

Martin Styner, PhD. Ing. ETH
Group Head - Medical Image Analysis (MIA)
M.E.Mueller Research Center for Orthopaedic Surgery
Institute for Surgical Technology and Biomechanics
University of Bern
Murtenstr. 35,  P.O. Box 8354
CH-3001 Bern, Switzerland
Tel:   +41 31 632 0940