[Insight-users] resampling and linear interpolation

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:04:21 -0400

Hi Michael,

What you did is an interesting test.

However, since the second column is the result
of the registration process, it is hard to separate
how much of the effect is due to the resampling process
(pre-registration), and how much to the metric evaluation
and the internal effect of the interpolator in the metric.

I would suggest you to do a test similar to what Petra
did (in her recent posting to the list) which is just
evaluate the metric instead of running the regisration.

In theory the metric values should follow a monotonic
variation.

If you still find this jump in the metric values, one
possible suspect is the "last-row" effect on the iterpolators,
which is related to the IsInside() evaluation.
The interpolator has a criterion to establish is a point
is in the domain of the image.

By continuously scaling (downsampling) the images you may
be running into the effect when at a particular scale, there
is a moment in which a full row of the image comes into the
domain of the other image. one easy way to avoid the last-row
effect is to slightly rotate one image with respect to the other
(e.g. 5 to 10 degrees). In this way, the increase in image size
will only affect a couple of pixels at a time

Another way to test how much of this is due to the linear
interpolator is to replace it with the BSpline interpolator.
Note that registration will slow down a lot in that case, but
this being an experiment, it should probably be worth to try.