[Insight-users] Reading DICOM fields

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:00:37 -0500

Hi Jenny,

Here are two options you may want to try:

A) The external solution:

    Use MRIConvert from Jolinda Smith at the
    Lewis Center for Neuroimaging at the University of Oregon.
    http://lcni . uoregon . edu/~jolinda/MRIConvert

    This is an executable application that you can
    download for free. It allows you to load your
    DICOM files and save them in Analyze or MetaImage
    formats. It will probably be capable of differentiating
    the multiple volumes in the series you have.

B) The internal solution:

    Use the DICOMAppHelper class available in
    Insight/Utilities/DICOMParser

http://www . itk . org/cgi-bin/cvsweb . cgi/Insight/Utilities/DICOMParser/DICOMAppHelper . h?cvsroot=Insight

    This class is actually used inside the
    DICOMImageIO2 that is currently the DICOM
    reader for ITK.

    Through this class you can get access to many
    of the DICOM fields read from the slices.

    You could go further and create you own callback
    functions and register them with the DICOMParser
    in order to get access to other DICOM fields.

If this is just a one-time problem, you can certainly
solve it faster with option (A).

If this is a data input problem that will be commonly
found when processing your data, you may want to invest
the time of implementing (B).

Please let us know if you have further questions,