[Insight-users] Re: Build examples

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:15:33 -0500

Hi Steven,

In your process for building the examples
you are doing fine for steps (1) and (2).

Step (3) is where you are drifting from
the good path. You just don't need step (3).

It happens that by the time you finish step
(2) you have *already* build all the examples.
This is what you enabled with CMake using the
variable BUILD_EXAMPLES, and it is in fact
part of the reason why the build process took
so long.

When you load the Insight.sln workspace, you
will notice that there is a large number of
projects in this solution file. In this list
there is one project per each one of the
examples described in the software guide.

E.g. If you browse down the list of projects
you will find project names such as:

Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Image6
ImageAdaptor1
ImageAdaptor2
and so on...

The executables of the examples are put in
the directory

   InsightToolKit-bin/bin/{release,debug}

Just go to this directory and verify that
the executables are there.

At this point you can start running the
executables.

NOTE that most (if not all) of the examples
are intended to be used as command line tools.
You will have to open a MS-DOS window or a
Cygwin shell and type the names of the example
executable. *Do not* try to run the examples
just by double-clicking on their icons, this
will not work because the examples do not have
graphical user interface.

Once you are confortable with the examples,
you could go to InsightApplications and
build the more complex set of programs that
provide graphical user interface and support
for visualization.

Please let us know if you have further
questions,

    Thanks,