[Insight-users] Auxilliary/vtk

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 07:09:34 -0500

Hi Neil,

-------------------------
Neil Killeen wrote:

>>From a maintenance perspective, I find that a bit clumsy.
> It means that whenever I upgrade ITK, those Auxilliary classes
> may well change in the ITK distribution and I will have to
> remember to copy them somewhere.  To  do this properly, I suppose
> they should be distributed separately in a separate
> 'Auxilliary' package, with its own CMakeLists.txt file, but I am sure that
> is not very high on the project's priorities.

I agree with you in this point.

The content of Auxiliary should be distributed as a separate
checkout. Since it is provided as an interface to other
libraries.

Along the same lines, We are also looking forward to
remove the "Applications" directory from the main ITK
tree and distribute it independently.

> More interestingly, the following is probably a bug...
> What I did was rebuild ITK telling it use the INSTALLED VTK
> but not to build any examples or tests.

Well, I would not call it a bug but a documentation ambiguity.

The only condition to build "Auxiliary/vtk" is to have enabled
"USE_VTK". It is not subject to have enabled testing or
applications.

> So I suggest that
>
> a) The README in the Auxilliary directory describes how you intend these
> files should be used (the present one does not)

Point taken,

> b) the above problem should be attended to, because in the absence
> of a) it makes you think the Auxilliary files should have been
> installed in the tree !

Point taken

BTW: "point taken" means that a bug was loged in our gnats
database.http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Web/HTML/BugTracking.htm

Thanks for your suggestions,

Luis