[Insight-users] DICOMParser

Michael Fenchel m_fenchel@web.de
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:38:39 +0100

Hi Luis,

I would like to read in several DICOM files (MR files), perform some sorting
(e.g. ascending slice position) and then access the sorted image data and do
some filtering, register the images and so on. After the processing I would
like to save the files, preferably again as DICOM.

Maybe you can help me a little to understand how the DICOM Parser classes in
Insight/Utilities are used. I would very much appreciate your help.

1.) What is the exact advantage of all those callbacks that have to be
registered?
2.) Where in the DICOMParser class is the image information stored, an how
can I easily access it? How can I access the individual tags of the header?
is it possible to access them via the name (e.g. 'slice position')?
3.) What is the use of the class DICOMAppHelper? Does it provide some higher
level functionality?

The DICOMApp (example program) uses the classes DICOMImageIO2Factory and
DICOMImageIO2 together with the class  ImageFileReader (However, it does not
use the function SetImageIO(DICOMImageIO2* dicomimage). How does the reader
know its a DICOM image?).
4.) Do those classes use DICOMParser implicitly?

5.) Does ITK provide some functionality to save the processed images as
DICOM again. This means including the header not just the raw data?

Thanks again,

best wishes
Michael