[Insight-users] Application walk through : SoftwareGuide.pdf is ready.

Neil Killeen Neil.Killeen@atnf.csiro.au
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:36:54 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> We are getting closer to a 1.1 release by first week of february.

Great !

I would really like to be able to build the ITK examples that
depend on VTK (e.g. the SegmentationEditor etc).
When you make the release, will you be able to specify a version
of VTK for which the build will work ?

I find it frustrating that I cannot build the VTK examples with the two
current official releases (VTK/ITK) and that the only solution
presently is to try different versions of VTK until one
works (which I really don't have the time to do).   Although you
say the Examples directory is not part of ITK, and that ITK does not
depend upon  VTK, they are distributed with ITK and they are an important
part of the learning process for others to work out how to do things
(and they are also now referred to by the 'SoftwareGuide').
So the dependency is there, where it be 'official' or not !

In fact, I think that when you release a version of ITK, the version of
VTK that you should be able guarentee it works with, would be the released
version of VTK at that time.  As new releases of VTK come out after that
point in time, you could then patch the  released version of ITK as need
be, so that it is guarenteed the released versions of ITK and VTK are compatible.
I think that is the best you can do.   What do you think ?

However, that not being the case, I would be prepared to download and
build a development version of VTK if it was nominated as a) reliable and
b) compatible with ITK version xxx.  I'm a bit surprised that the VTK
interfaces are this unstable (since it is a mature product now) and that
backwards compatibility is not maintained.

cheers
Neil

p.s. good job on the new SoftwareGuide !