[Insight-users] Re: itk , fltk, vtk

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:12:48 -0500

Hi Zein,

1) The Fltk and Qt Viewer have been removed from
    the basic Insight source tree. You will find
    them now in the cvs module "InsightApplications"

    This was done because ITK does not depend on
    FLTK, QT, VTK, OpenGL or GLUT. Only the applications
    depend on these libraries.

2) For building fltk use the fltk.dsw workspace
    and select the project "Demos".

    This will compile everything

3) When you build ITK now, USE_FLTK and USE_VTK
    do not appear anymore.  Isn't that great ! :-)

    The do not appear, because they are not needed.
    ITK does not require FLTK or VTK, only the
    applications do.

    When you will configure the InsightApplications
    tree, then and only then, CMake will ask you
    again for USE_FLTK and USE_VTK.

4) For using VTK for visualizing meshes you should
    IN YOUR PROJECT include VTK. ITK does not depend
    on VTK, you you simply ... build it.

    Still you have to make sure that you build VTK
    with ANSI_STDLIB enabled.

    In the CMakeLists.txt file of YOUR project, add
    the following lines:

---------------

For using ITK  you need to add

FIND_PACKAGE(ITK)
IF(ITK_FOUND)
   INCLUDE(${ITK_USE_FILE})
ELSE(ITK_FOUND)
   MESSAGE(FATAL_ERROR
           "Cannot build InsightApplications without ITK.  Please set
ITK_DIR.")
ENDIF(ITK_FOUND)

---------------

For using VTK you need to add

FIND_PACKAGE(VTK)
IF (VTK_FOUND)
   INCLUDE (${VTK_USE_FILE})
ELSE(VTK_FOUND)
   MESSAGE(FATAL_ERROR
           "Cannot build InsightApplications without ITK.  Please set
VTK_DIR.")
ENDIF(VTK_FOUND)

Please let us know if you encouter any problems,