[Insight-users] Re: Problems using MetaImage Reader and Writer

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:54:10 -0500

Hi Shilpa,

1) RAW is a BAD format for medical images.

    I would dare to say that it is not a format at all.
    When people talk about RAW, we implicitly assume
    that they are saying: RAW + header.

    The header may be presented in the form of a
    post-it with values on it, a napkin, an email
    sent by your doctor, a word documents, or a
    text file.

    RAW without header...  is just useless and border
    into dangerous.

    The RAWImage reader was provided for convenience
    in the early days of the toolkit. I will strongly
    discourage you from using a raw reader.

    The best alternative is to use any of the many
    real formats available in the toolkit. The following
    format will let you add a header to your .raw file:

        Gipl, Stimulate, MetaImage, VTK

2) For a demostration of the IO capabilities of the
    toolkit, you may want to use the examples in

             Insight/Examples/IO

    that are described in detail in the SoftwareGuide.pdf
    in the section "Reading and Writing Images"

    If you want to demonstrate Filter, plese use the
    examples in

             Insight/Examples/Filtering

    That are associated to the "Filtering" chapter of
    the SoftwareGuide.

3) You can (and need) ITK 1.2 for doing these basic
    operations. The examples do not need FLTK nor VTK.
    We intentionally removed all these dependencies by
    moving demo-applications to a separate cvs module.

    So, you can build the Examples above using only ITK.

Please let us know if you have furhter questions