[Insight-users] surface textures?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:47:23 -0500

Hi Markus,

ITK is N-Dimensional. You can perform registration with
5D images, as long as you have enough computer memory,
CPU power and coffee suply.

Volumetric registration can certainly be done in ITK.

---

Is the 3D point-set filling a volume in space,
or is it describing a 2D surface embedded in a
3D space ?

Your problem sound pretty similar to what is done
in ITK for Finite Element Methods deformable
registration. A small region around each node in
the mesh is used to find a local translation to
the other image. The result of the registration
in this case is a displacement field.

You will find a description of deformable registration
methods in the SoftwareGuide:

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 7.12, pdf-pages 230 to 236.
You may also find interesting the description of
model to image registration in presented in
section 7.14.

---

It is still not clear to me if your are managing a
3D problem, or a 2D problem embedded in a 3D space.

When we say a 3D point set, we associate 3D to the
dimension of the points, but still the cells connecting
those points can be 1D, 2D, or 3D.
In the first case you have a curve in 3D, in the second
case you have a surface in 3D, in the last case you
have a solid volume.

What is the maximum dimension of the cells connecting
the 3D points in your point-set.

Please give us clearer details of your intended
application.