[Insight-users] Is an ITK for Dummies planned?

Bill Oliver billo@Radix.Net
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:14:04 -0500 (EST)

> From: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez@kitware.com>
>

> Maybe we will move the current paragraph to a
> footnote, and replace it with a more plain-language
> version in the text body.

I wouldn't bother.  As I stated, I think it is
actually a good description.  It just requires
a certain level of knowledge to understand.  That's
not bad if it matches your target audience.

That's why I have pushed an "ITK for Dummies"
idea.  It is clear that your primary audience
at the moment is people who *do* have some good
grounding in image processing/computer vision.
After all, that's who's doing the most work in
the area.

If you dumb down a manual meant for that audience,
you will force them to wade through a bunch of
stuff they already know or don't need to read.
This will waste their time and make the manual
less useful for them.  Personally, I don't particularly
want a wordy explanation of what a Voronoi region
is if simply saying "Voronoi region" does the trick.

This will, however, limit the audience and thus
the potential for spread of the acceptance and
use of ITK.  ITK is not trivial to code in as
it is, since you have to have a pretty decent
handle on generic programming in C++.  Adding
a requirement for computer vision expertise
to that will make the library less attractive
to the larger audience.

billo