[Insight-users] How to equalize the brightness of sequential images?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:46:19 -0500

Hi Fucang,

Using only luminance may be an insufficient criterion for
normalizing your images.

You may want to use the more formal approach of HistogramMatching.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1HistogramMatchingImageFilter.html

This filter will correct the intensities of one image in such
a way that its histogram will better match the histogram of
another image provided as a reference.

This is a gray level concept, so, what you may do,  is to convert
your color images to luminance images, match the histograms of the
luminance images among them, and then use the correction factors
for normalizing the original color images.

This approach will correct different color using different factors.
That will allow you to concentrate the correction to the objects
that you consider important in your image.

Please let us know if you have further questions,