[Insight-users] Re: about DICOM files with color: MarchingCubes & Segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:03:39 -0500

Hi Zhuo,

vtkMarchingCubes will work only on scalar values.
You will have to perform a convertion from color
to a scalar values before using marching cubes.
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageMarchingCubes.html

In practice you may need to apply a segmentation
method first, in order to extract a particular
anatomical structure. Only after that, you attempt
to extract a surface from the image.

Multiple segmentation methods are available in Insight:
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/group__ImageSegmentation.html

---

The file conversion will be ok as long as you
redefine the type of the image to use RGBPixel
as pixel type.

Something like

 typedef itk::RGBPixel< char >       PixelType;
 typedef itk::Image<  PixelType, 3 > ImageType;

Examples on this are available in the SoftwareGuide.
http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
in section 4.1.3, pdf-page 53.

Examples on reading an writing color images
are treated in section 6.2, pdf-page 160