[Insight-users] DOxygen configuration

Neil Killeen Neil.Killeen@atnf.csiro.au
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:38:20 +1000 (EST)

Hi all

I am now endeavouring to configure my project to build
the class documentation  with Doxygen via CMake.

I am using ITK as my template.  So I turned the Doxygen build on in my
CMakeCache.txt file.  However, it did not build any  Doxygen
documentation.

As far as I can tell

1) In the top-level ITK CMakeLists.txt file, the line

CONFIGURE_FILE(${ITK_SOURCE_DIR}/Utilities/Doxygen/doxygen.config.in
               ${ITK_BINARY_DIR}/doxygen.config)

parses the specified Doxygen configuration file producing the
output file in the binary tree (which did happen).

2) To actually build the documentation one must run

% doxygen doxygen.config

but the ITK makefile does not actually do this.  Nor could I
find any code in any of the CMakeLists.txt files that would
have written such code.

If I did that step manually it ran fine.

Question: Is it best to run 'doxygen' separately in a
build script (which I assume is what ITK does), or should I
use   ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET and ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND  to do this ?

VTK appears to do the latter, e.g. in Utilities/Doxygen/CMakeLists.txt
you find some custom command stuff

It seems to me that doing it via a custom command is best because then
the build is integrated with CMake which knows where the output
directory is...

cheers
Neil

p.s. I could not find any discussion of this in the Mail archives